11.03.2008

Dabbling with that thing called "gardening"...

Since my *brilliant* idea about crop rotation last night, I'm in the midst of trying to get my plot ready for the garlic. My hope is to plant the garlic by this weekend. Today's goal was to take some of the leaves from our compost pile area and my current tub of compost from the kitchen and to till the soil once more. In an effort to expedite the decomposition process, I watered the plot... I have no idea if this will work, but it was worth trying!

Side note: For my compost bin, I use one of those large folgers coffee tubs w/ the lids and line it with a grocery bag... I keep it in my side cabinet under the counter top. It doesn't smell as long as the lid is on and you'd never know its there! When it gets full, I take the tub outside, dump it in the compost pile, toss the bag and start all over. If the coffee tub is wet or otherwise gross, I rinse it out, let it air dry and then start again. Having a compost pile is a great way to turn otherwise wasted food into something useful. :)

I've also planted french lavender seeds (indoors) in effort to begin growing that, as well. Not sure what I'll do with the lavender once it grows, but I figure the experience should be worth it. Besides, lavender smells good. :-p I have them in a two foot long planter sitting on top of our radiator - we use forced air for heat, so this is not a problem - in our dining room. It gets plenty of light during the day, so I think it should work. I realized this afternoon while outside that I really already have an "herb garden" started by accident. By our back patio, I have two echinacea plants that my parents gave us growing in a bricked-in bed. So, why not add some lavender next summer? :) Now, if I can just figure out for sure what parts of the echinacea is used for tea...

No comments: