11.18.2008

I'd rather be in bed...

It's 7:54 am, and its cold outside. Yet, I've fed a baby, changed a diaper, I've unloaded the dishwasher and I'd really much rather be in bed right now... This morning is one of those mornings where my kids were making it very obvious that they were ready to start the day well before I was. But, as kids (particularly the smaller ones) seem to have incredible volume when they aren't happy, I got up. At first, I was less than happy about it.

I bring this up, not to be complaining, but to remind you of two things.

First, as adults, parents, and children of God, we are called to a life of self-sacrifice. My husband surely didn't want to go outside this morning to scrape the snow off the cars before he went to work. (Yes, he scraped mine, too, so I wouldn't have to do it when I leave for CBS. He's great like that. :D ) Then, he went to work. This sounds less than ideal to me, but, he did so joyfully, knowing that his calling is to provide for me and the kiddos. Christ modeled what it meant to be self-sacrificial and He made the ultimate sacrifice, so the least I can do is crawl out of bed with a smile on my face when I don't want to, right? (I'm still working on this...)

Second, kids grow up way too fast. My mom has reminded me regularly that if it wasn't for the people in my house - Daniel, Patrick and Erin, I wouldn't have those socks to fold, or those bottles to wash or that diaper to change... While these things may seem a drudgery in the moment, they really are a blessing.

So, when its cold outside, you would much rather stay in bed where its warm and cozy, but your child is making it quite plain that the sun has risen and you're missing out on all the exciting things going on outside, remember, this is a season and it will pass quickly. Enjoy it.

2 comments:

Janey said...

you are so right..........the days swish by and before you know it, they are walking down the aisle to get married....or going away to school or.........! Thanks for the reminder. I truly thank God that I could be a modern domestic wife and mom! jv

Rachel said...

I bring them into bed with me and it is a great bonding time for us. I might rather be asleep, but at least I'm still in bed. We have the best conversations at that time, and I treasure it! Mine are 4 1/2 and almost 2. :)