11.20.2008

I'm a professional model

This morning, I once again had the privilege of attending Mom 2 Mom. It's a beautiful 2.5 hours spent with the kids in the same building, but not under my immediate care and a time spent with other young moms. I am SO thankful for this.

One of the things I was reminded of today is that I am a model. No, I don't walk down the runway in odd, very expensive clothing in front of a bunch of cameras with the demeanor that I have nothing to be thankful for.

I do, however, walk about daily, for countless hours in front of my children. They absorb everything.

I've heard it said, "If mom isn't happy, no one is happy." This is so true.

I remember one day, a little over a year ago, I woke up in a grouchy mood. Of course, I had no good reason to be grouchy, but my sin nature was definitely evident in my demeanor, my attitude and in my actions. At the time, I only had Patrick to take care of. But, we had quite the morning.

I was grumpy. Patrick was grumpy.

I had violin lessons to teach that same afternoon, which meant that Mom kept Patrick at her house for his nap that day. I dropped him off and went back home to teach. I think once the lessons were done, I had some time to think and to pray that the Lord would correct my attitude. He did.

Shortly thereafter, I picked Patrick up and we had a fabulous afternoon.

My point is this: As parents, we train our children... we train them to love the Lord or to hate Him. We train them to respond selflessly with grace or to pitch a fit out of selfish anger. We train them to have compassion or to not care.

If you are a parent, you are a model. What are you teaching your kids?

No comments: