12.29.2008

When Mommy is Sick...

So today, I've been rather under the weather. Thankfully, its just flu-like symptoms, but no fever or upset stomach. Anyway, when I got up, I had hoped to get some help from my mom as she is always readily available when I need her. But, when I called her this morning, I discovered that not only was she, too, sick, but that she was worse off than I was. *ACK!!!* Please don't mis-read that I was unsympathetic toward my mom's illness, because I certainly was/am. But, what in the world was I to do with two kids under 2 when all I wanted to do was go to bed?!?!

Two words: "Bob" (veggie tales) and "books"

We literally spent the morning watching our Veggie Tales collection. Patrick had a blast and Erin napped through most of it. Of course, I felt bad for landing my kid in front of the TV for most of the morning, but when I was doing great to feed him goldfish and cheerios from the couch, "Bob" is pretty much the only option. Finally, 2:00 rolled around and I was able to put both kids down for a nap. I napped, too. We all slept about 2.5 hours. It was beautiful. Of course, by this time, I felt a little guilty for watching hours of "Bob", so I unplugged the TV (Patrick loves to play with the buttons) and commenced to read stories to Patrick between his bites of goldfish. Erin played in her exersaucer the entire time.

I was also able to accomplish a few modest tasks throughout the day. Sick days are just like the first few weeks after having a baby - you have to limit yourself. My goals for the day: Keep the kids fed, don't burn down the house, unload the dishwasher and wash and dry one load of laundry (note: we didn't say anything about removing from the dryer, folding, or putting away). I was able to accomplish these things by simply taking my time. It took nearly all morning to unload the dishwasher, even though it was only 1/2 full... I made one trip to fill the laundry bin. I made another trip, taking the laundry bin to the basement and I started up the wash. About 2 hours later, I went back down and transferred the laundry to the dryer and started that up. About 2 hours after that, I checked the laundry and ran the dryer a bit longer. The laundry hasn't been touched since. I will ask Daniel to bring the laundry up later tonight. Maybe it will get folded tomorrow...

All-in-all, I consider it a pretty productive day. My kids are fed and happy, the house is reasonably tidy and we have clean laundry in the basement.

Oh, did I mention? The house is still standing. :)

No comments: