2.09.2009

Cleaning Drains

I figured it was time for another "practical" post, so here is something I tried recently.

The other day, I noticed that our bathroom drain was looking a bit icky - I clean the sink and surrounding area at least once weekly, sometimes more - but drains totally gross me out. So, I was thinking of ways to try and avoid any kind of "hands on" cleaning approach to this.

Of course, my two favorite household staples came to mind - baking soda and vinegar. :) I grabbed the box of baking soda and my 1/2 gallon of vinegar and scampered back to the bathroom and proceeded to generously dump baking soda on and around the drain area. I added vinegar and witnessed that beautiful bubbling reaction. I repeated several times until the gunk right inside the drain was no longer noticeable.

All things considered, this worked beautifully. Sure, it may not be a super-thorough job, but I now deem the nastiness at least somewhat sanitized and minimized. And, best of all, I didn't have to touch any of it. :)

3 comments:

Marcie said...

Does it work on mildew in the shower cracks and corners?

Rebekah said...

Can't hurt to try. Vinegar will help to sanitize yucky spots. You might have need to pull out an old toothbrush for the corner, but vinegar should do the trick better than bleach does. Hope that helps!

beth said...

oh! yes... that's how i clean mine too... and with this lovely tool(http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00955232000P?vName=Tools&cName=HandTools,GeneralPurpose&sName=Plumbing%20Tools&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a) that is sooo cheap and sooo helpful! you can get all the hairs that you don't even know are in there! :)