3.19.2009

And so it begins

Thanks to a friend who loaned me several different types of cloth diapers and supplies, I have begun the great cloth diapering adventure. :) I am very thankful for her willingness to let me try out all these things as I will be more educated about what I'm looking for before I make the commitment to cloth diapering.

I have...
2 BumGenious One Size
2 medium Fuzzi Bunz
2 medium? Happy Heinies
several prefolds w/ covers
biodegradable liners for poo
flannel wipes
wet bag

My experience so far has been...

I've used one diaper on Patrick and am questioning if it is worth doing it again. I put a HH stuffed with 2 inserts on him around 1:45 this afternoon - around his regular nap time. I ran about 30 minutes worth of in-car errands before we got home and then I put him down for nap. He didn't go to sleep for about 30 minutes or so. He finally fell asleep around 3:30. I woke him up at 5:10 to find that his whole front was soaked. Patrick does not wake up easily, and we usually wait at least 20 minutes to change his diaper after he has woken up because of this. Needless to say, this diaper/clothing change was a bit of a struggle because he was not happy - can you blame him?! I definitely used a regular old pampers on him after that.

My experience with Erin, thankfully, has been much different! :) I've used 3 diapers on Erin thus far and am duely impressed. No poos yet, but the wet diapers really don't seem a big deal at all. I have put 2 BGOS on her and 1 medium FB. My first impression of these diapers is that the BG are easier to use because of the velcro tabs. It took me about 3 minutes to decide for sure which snaps I wanted to use with the FB because I couldn't seem to get a good fit. This diaper was only on her for about 2-3 hours, though, because I changed her again at bedtime. Erin is not a heavy wetter, so I'm not 100% sure this bedtime change was necessary, but I decided I'd rather be safe than sorry. I just put her to bed and used a BG with 2 inserts and the poo-liner as she is prone to early-morning poos at present.

Having used 3 diapers already, I opted to go ahead and do a small wash. I'm kind of hoping to use all (or at least mostly) cloth on Erin tomorrow, but in order to do so, I needed all the available diapers to be clean. The only "con" to washing so soon is that I have not gotten to fully experience the inevitable smell that comes with a diaper that has been sitting in a bin for 48 hours. This will come, I'm sure. But, so far, I really like what I've seen. :)

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

I have heard similar stories about the HH diapers so I'm not too surprised. They have a bit of a bad reputation for soaking through. I use BGOS 3.0 on my heavy wetter (Will) and it usually holds up- even overnight! We rarely wake up wet. :)

Rachel said...

Another thing you might try is a vinyl or nylon diaper cover at naptime for extra leak protection. Both are inexpensive, but nylon holds up MUCH longer and is slightly more expensive than vinyl. I haven't been able to find nylon covers except online, but you may be able to find vinyl covers at a big box store.

I just use prefolds with snappies and vinyl covers until I can get some nylon covers. But then, I'm talking just nighttime, and with older children (4 1/2 and 2) who can hold still easily. Snappies are still much easier to get on than diaper pins, which I am also familiar with from my growing up years. :)

Rebecca said...

This is a great post about cloth diapers! There is also a "Part 2" follow-up post up now!

http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2009/03/guest-post-cloth-diapering-101-part-1.html

Rebekah said...

Thanks for your thoughts ladies! :) I haven't had the guts to try cloth on Patrick again yet, but I'm considering it with a BG tomorrow after my next wash. I haven't tried a HH on Erin yet, but might have to this evening - I can't remember if I have a BG left to use for tonight or not.

What would you think about using a prefold w/ a newborn insert and a cover w/o pins or a snappy? I'm thinking about trying this on Erin between afternoon nap and bedtime.

Rebekah said...

Okay, so I think I just found the answer to my question on the link Rebecca posted. :-p I'm going to try a prefold next. :)