3.23.2009

Gardening

It seems the time has come to prepare my yard for a garden. If you remember, back in the fall, Daniel and I saved the majority of leaves from our two large trees for compost. While there is still a mid-size pile of leaves in our back yard near the back fence, the bottom layer is fabulous compost. In October or November, around the same time we were battling leaves in our yard, I planted a small garlic bed. About three weeks ago, I saw the tips of garlic poking their way through the leaves I had intentionally placed on top. I believe I planted 14-16 cloves and it looks like 13 are growing. Not bad, in my opinion.


In the fall, I had intentions of planting some tomatoes and peppers this spring. As time has passed, I realized that other garden items really aren't hard to grow, so my list of plants has grown. This past Saturday, I went to Home Depot to get seed starter greenhouses and seeds. I came home with the following...

Rosemary, Dill, Cilantro, Sweet Basil, Large Leaf Basil, Big Boy Tomatoes, Roma Tomatoes, Sweet Tomatoes, Green Onions, Spinach, Mesclun Salad Mix, Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce, and Simpson Lettuce. I did, however, forget to buy pepper seeds. I'll try and get some later this week.

Two weeks ago we had some lovely warm weather, so I took advantage of it and started our garden plot. I manually tilled up about a 3 ft by 10 ft section where our main garden will be.

Though it isn't super warm today, I think it should be warm enough this afternoon for me to go back out and till more. Because I ended up purchasing way more seeds than I had planned, I decided our garden plot needs to be at least double the size it is now. I also hope to plant wildflowers where the leaves are between the garden plot and the back fence (white). We can't seem to get grass to grow there, so I figure it can't hurt to try.

Spinach is in-season for planting, so I need to try and plant the remainder of my seeds (I put some in my greenhouse starter already) outside sometime in the next week. Once I've doubled the size of the garden, I need to get bags of cow poo to mix in with the existing soil before I plant anything beyond spinach.

In the way of pests, I intend to surround the garden with green plastic fencing. We do have a known rodent of some type that has made holes in our yard the last two years (the holes got substantially larger last summer!), so we'll need to figure out what to do with that. Otherwise, I hope to harvest tomatoes and peppers as they're ripening rather than waiting until they're ripe before any birds can get to them. As far as squirrels and other animals are concerned, I'll have to figure that out as we go.

No comments: