3.21.2009

The Great Cloth Adventure

I've been using cloth diapers on Erin for about 2 days now and basically love it. We have used a few sposies on her because I don't have a ton of diapers - yet! - but I think we're well on our way to mostly CDing her. :)

I just took the plunge and ordered my first batch of cloth diapers and can't wait for them to arrive. Because I was able to try several different kinds of CDs, thanks to the friend that loaned them to me, I opted to order only bumGenius 3.0 one size for now. I ordered 7 of them plus poo liners. :) I expect that these should hold us over pretty well for a month or two and then I'll probably order 3 more, but I might go with FuzziBunz then as I'm getting the hang of the snaps.

A bit more of my experience thus far...

Erin had two poos yesterday and I had two very different experiences with them. The first happened later than usual - mid-morning - and I totally wasn't expecting it. Not only that, but it was messy and mostly missed the liner. Yes, the liner got some of it, but I think I had it positioned too far back in the diaper, so a lot went forward and was totally on the diaper. Bear in mind, I have a stomach of steel, but cleaning this diaper out was challenging. :-p I had to swish it in the toilet and thought I might lose my breakfast. So, out of desperation to get the thing somewhat clean before throwing it in the diaper bin, I turned on the bathtub faucet and rinsed as much off as possible. (I gave the tub a thorough cleaning after, don't worry! Amazingly, this was better than the alternative.) My first experience with poo and cloth was not plesant. We'll leave it at that.

The 2nd poo, was notably better. I decided that when it happened again, I was not doing the toilet deal again. When it happened, I didn't have a liner in the diaper as I didn't think she needed it again. Once I got Erin situated, I took the soiled diaper and the others that needed to be washed down to my laundry area. We have a utility sink down there with a spray nozzle. I used the spray to clean most of the poo out and promptly tossed the diaper in the wash. I also went over the first poo diaper with the spray, too, just to make sure it came clean. The sprayer made all the difference. When I was done, I sprayed everything down the drain, scrubbed the sink and used lysol on it. This was far superior to my first attempt and I plan to use that method again. I'm most likely going to keep a diaper bin in the washroom for the poo diapers so I can do this every time without throwing things in the wash immediately.

I also used a prefold w/ insert and liner on Erin yesterday and as far as I can tell, it worked great. Daniel did the diaper change with that, because I wasn't home, but he said she didn't leak and that it seemed fine. I think she had it on about 2.5 hours. I'll probably do the same thing again this afternoon between her nap and bedtime.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I've done the same thing in the shower. :P I don't think that hurts a thing! Also, a *little* poo on the diaper (if it's particularly mushy/sticky) can go into the wash and it comes out in the wash. After I got over leaving the poo there, it became quite easy. I only shake the diaper out the best I can into the potty and then throw it into the pail NO MATTER WHAT and I've had NO problems with it coming out in the wash. I've known many others to do the same. http://diaperpin.com/clothdiapers/article_toptenmyths.asp