10.17.2012

"Do you like it?"


It has been a l.o.n.g. time since I've posted.  I was nearly 8 months pregnant when I wrote last - she is now nearly 19 months old!  Perhaps not an excuse for my extended blogging absence, but it at least provides an explanation.  ;)

(During this time, life has changed loads.  I am the mother of 3 children, I have taken up soapmaking as a hobby, and I work part-time as a doula.  Our older two children are now school age - we are homeschooling them. A good friend dared me to try running as both a means of staying active without a gym membership and a tool to help as I slowly shed the baby weight - I'm now training for a 1/2 marathon.)

So, why do I write now?

In the last 15 months, I purchased and read Ann Voskamp's book, "One Thousand Gifts". And wow.  Voskamp's wisdom, humility and insights to fully living where you are, to seeking the Joy of the Lord has had a huge impact on me as I strive to serve God as a wife, mother, new-homeschooling mom, and doula.  (Voskamp's blog is superb - be sure to check it out!)

In the book, Voskamp talks about writing down thanksgivings in a journal as a reminder of the many ways the Lord has blessed her.  A task that promoted seeing His hand in the big and the small.

I love writing and took to heart the task of journaling thanks - eucharisteo.   What better way to document that 1st step, the twinkle in Daniel's eye, a grin or giggle from Patrick or Erin?  What better way to find joy - to see the Lord's gifts - in the sometimes beautiful-stressful days of mothering 3?

Like many others, I become concerned - worried even - when an election draws near.  The older I get, the more seriously I view elections and the far-reaching impact a "bad" choice can have on generations to come - how freedom can slowly be chipped away.  This year is no different.  In fact, I feel more strongly about the upcoming election than ever.

This election, like so many events in life, pulls me to my knees before the Lord, in prayer and petition.  Some days, I physically nearly feel sick as I consider the possible outcome of the election and the repercussions for the years to come.  Yet, in those moments of jaw-clenching tension, or flat out fear and worry, I'm reminded that, for those who are alive in the Lord, "I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Rom. 8:38-39)

I am comforted.  



I look at the sky, and I see His hand. "I am here."  The sky proclaims His glory.  I half-expect to see the Lord coming again to bring His children home to the eternal presence of the Father.



 











    


I see His love, His beauty in the autumn leaves.  In the rays of sunshine streaming through.  

Today was beautiful.  His majesty through creation was everywhere the eye could reach.  It was the perfect day to go on an exploration - a Glory Hunt - with the kids into creation to seek out beauty in His handiwork.  We drove on the parkway and I, 1/2 on a whim, pulled into the parking lot of an overlook trail with an estimated 30 minutes of walking time.  Thankful that I always wear Cammon - our nearly 19 month old daughter - in the Ergo out to the car so I can be hands-free locking the door, etc, I proclaimed to Patrick and Erin that we were going on a hike, got out of the car and donned the Ergo, Cammon in it, on my back.

















Thank you, Jesus for the fall colors, the open trail, the flowers, the leaves, the moss, a stump to sit on, a tree to climb, a pinecone stick, space to run, flowers to wear.  Ann Voskamp said near the end of a recent blog post, "When you slow is when you hear, 'Do you like it?  I made it just for you.'"

Lord, I love it.  Thank you.




No comments: